Today we are going to make our Glam Girl Wall Hanging!
- Finished size is 15 1/2 inches x 31 1/2 inches
- Blocks have been squared to 7.5 inches
- All seam allowances are 1/4 inch
- Assume all fabrics are 42 inches wide, especially for the width of fabric cuts
What you will need:
*Three Glam Girl Blocks (I squared my blocks to 7.5 inches because one had stretched a lot during piecing)
¼ yard of Hot Pink Fabric for sashing between block and inner border
½ yard of Pink and Yellow floral fabric for outer border and binding. I used Windham Fabrics “Mariposa” by Another Point of View; Pattern No. 40088.
½ yard of backing fabric
½ yard of batting
Fabric for the hanging sleeve
For the Hot Pink Sashing Between Blocks:
Cut 4 strips that measure 1 ½ inches x 7.5 inches.
For the Hot Pink Inner Border:
Cut 2 strips that measure 1 ½ inches x 25.5 inches
For the Pink and Yellow Floral Outer Border
Cut 3 strips that measure 3 ½ inches x Width of Fabric (also known as WOF)
• Take one 3 ½ inch strip and cut two rectangles that measure 3 ½ x 9 ½ inches each.
• Take one 3 ½ inch strip and cut it to measure 32 inches long
• Take the remaining 3 ½ inch strip and cut it to measure 32 inches long
For the Pink and Yellow Floral Binding
Cut 3 strips that measure 2 ¼ x Width of Fabric
Let’s Start Sewing!
1. Sew the hot pink sashing strips to your glam girl blocks as shown below. Press seams toward the hot pink fabric. Your wall hanging will look like this:
2. Sew one hot pink inner border strip to the left side of your wall hanging and sew one hot pink inner border strip to the right side of your wall hanging. Press seams toward the hot pink fabric. Your wall hanging should look like this:
3. Sew one 3 ½ inch x 9 ½ inch rectangle to the top of the wall hanging. Next, sew one 3 ½ inch x 9 ½ inch rectangle to the bottom of the wall hanging. Press seams toward the hot pink fabric. This is coming together nicely! Does yours look like this?
4. Sew one 3 ½ inch x 32 inch strip to the left side of your wall hanging. Next, sew one 3 ½ inch x 32 inch strip to the right side of your wall hanging. Wow! The piecing is done!
5. Quilt your wall hanging using your favorite quilting technique! I started on mine by stitching in the ditch of my seams. Then I decided to outline my seams with a straight stitch.
6. I got a little braver and sewed some gentle waves. THEN I got really crazy and sewed a decorative zig zag stitch around the hot pink inner border.
AND I went overboard crazy and outline quilted around all three blocks!
I grew even more daring and quilted in different stitch widths and directions…it looks great if I do say do myself!
7. Once I finished my machine quilting, I added a sleeve to the back of the wall hanging before I added the binding. Click here to learn how: Hanging Sleeve Tutorial
8. Next, make the binding for your quilt and attach it. This Craftsy tutorial shows you how to do it: Binding Tutorial
9. Your Glam Girl wall hanging is now complete! I hope you enjoyed sewing along with us!