Yes it’s true! This quilting project took only 12 years from start to finish. I started this quilt 12 years ago as a beginning quilter. I no longer have this pattern on hand but I remember how much fun I had picking out all these bright batiks.
I was just learning accurate machine piecing and I was obviously having trouble with points! It was probably a combination of inaccurate cutting AND using a machine that did not have a 1/4 inch foot. Yikes!
The block below is better but I am my own worst critic! After I got this back from my quilter, I realized just how many points were actually square and I wasn’t crazy about the variegated thread on navy fabric. Something that seemed so right had turned out so wrong! I decided this quilt just needed to go somewhere and hide, so it did!
One of my favorite quilt bloggers is Tierneycreates and on March 6, 2017, she posted a piece titled “Quilt Studio Archaeology and Purge, Part III”. I started thinking about my own quilt studio archaeology and dug this quilt out from under a pile of “stuff”.
I only needed to add a binding and this 12 year project would be complete! While I was tacking down the binding, my son and daughter-in-law commented on how much they liked this quilt, hmmmmm, it’s now theirs for posterity!